May 08, 2010

Socks, Socks, Socks!

Socks, socks, socks!  I can't seem to get around to knitting anything else these days!  As soon as I finish a pair, a new pair needs to be knitted.  I did a knitting marathon to get some socks done for Mother's Day.  I thought that I had two weeks to knit them--Mother's Day kind of snuck up on me this year--and it turned out that, with having to ship them to my mother, I had 5 days.  Every waking moment that I could spare was devoted to knitting my Gulf Socks--so named because the colors reminded me of the waters in the Gulf of Mexico and the spiral pattern, which I adapted from Caroline Dlugy-Hegwer's Cornucopia pattern, ended up looking like, with the variegated colors of the yarn, a series of waves heading toward shore.  5 days.  One pair of socks. 

So, as soon as I finished those, my daughter, who's 6, informed me that she needs knee socks.  Never knit knee socks before, so this is an experiment in patience.  I decided to go with a butterfly pattern and am using Regia 4-Fach Haltbar--basically, these are the Tutti Frutti Butterfly socks because they are going to be one crazy pair of socks.  Knitting from two separate skeins, doing two-at-a-time, it appears that the color arrangement of the yarn was wound in opposite directions.  I have knit, torn out completely to make the circumference larger, knit again, and am now tearing out to the cuff because I think I need to alter the butterfly pattern.  It looked too stretched when my daughter tried one on for sizing.  So, picture coming soon.

Translate

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget