June 13, 2011

WWKIP Day & Yarn Bombing in Atlanta

June 11th was our local WWKIP Day to celebrate.  As we have done for the last few years, the Covington Knitters met on Covington Square in Georgia under the giant magnolias and knitted and crocheted.  We had fantastic door prizes, some of which were my hand painted yarns and one of my new handmade sock bags from the shop.  The purpose of donating to the door prize collection to destash was, of course, undermined by the giving out of the door prizes.  We donated so much to out party that some people went home with several skeins of new yarn.  I taught some Russian knitting to a few of our members, including one lady who does remarkable lace work--can't wait to find out how this new technique affects her lace knitting.  The local newspaper was there to take our picture and do a little write up, too.  Always nice to make the papers.  Here are a couple quick pics from our event.



Members of the SEFAA (South East Fiber Arts Alliance) and anyone else who wanted to participate bombed a section of Freedom Park, across from the Carter Presidential Library, last Saturday afternoon with knitting, weaving, and crochet.  Although other cities around the world had diligent crafters doing the same, this event was part of an art exhibit to debut in Atlanta later this summer.  Honey, Rocket, and I all went down there, despite the ever-threatening thunderstorms, so that I could get my hand in the mix.  Because our "art" would be on display, rain or shine, and through all the high humidity of the summer, I figured I should work with an old stand-by acrylic--not my first choice in yarn EVER, but as I read on a coffee cup somewhere, Red Heart will be the only thing to survive the apocalypse.  I think that if I had the opportunity to participate in an indoor knit bombing, I would have gone with something a little more attractive than acrylic.  HOWEVER, the point was to create an ostentatious display; so day-glow rainbow and turquoise were my pallet choices. I did, however, in the whole process of preparing something to contribute, come up with my own flower design (tutorial later this week).  Not to digress, but there aren't very many knitted flower patterns that actually come out resembling a flower available on the internet, it seems.


So here are a few pics from the bombing.  I think the group got a late start, so my pictures are early in the bombing process.  It didn't seem like there was much of a plan, unlike other yarn bombings that I've seen pictures of; so I was a little disappointed in that regard.  It was also not concentrated on a small area--spread out over about the length of a football field and kind of random. So don't be looking for a theme in the pictures because I don't think there was one.









No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog