September 26, 2014

I'll just stick with knitting, thanks.

I've not been blogging much lately because, well, I don't really have much on the needles that I can share.  I've been squirreled away in my studio, writing and knitting a new Spring sweater design for submission--deadline is in a few short days and I think I am just going to make it if I stick to the schedule.  There's something nuts about someone who gleefully plunges into knitting the entirety of a fingering weight sweater in two weeks for a pattern that is really just milling around in one's head. But, on the flip side, the sweater is breathtaking and I am very excited about how it has turned out.  I'm down to a sleeve and the damned seaming, so a few more days of blocking, sewing, and knitting and I can get back to my life (and that pair of socks that I've had on the needles for a record 2 months for Rocket).

I have, however, in the interest of giving my knitter's brain a break, plunged into two days of trying to work up this cute little rabbit doll/toy that my daughter said she needed as a decoration for her room for her upcoming birthday.  Although not a crocheter by trade or habit, the pattern seemed simple enough.  SEEMED simple.  Until I discovered, with most body parts completed, that the body works up to be 1/3 of the size of the head if one exactly follows the instructions (which are printed for all the world to use in a craft magazine), and the ears are twice as long in the pattern as in the picture, and the striping of the body's ballerina costume in the picture doesn't match the pattern instructions. My doll is also going to be about 6 inches larger than the original, and that would be fine if the head weren't larger than pretty much the entire rest of the creature.  I think the instructions were intentionally written so that they don't match the finished product in the photo.  I think I've been tricked because I have double-checked and even watched numerous Youtube videos to make sure that I am not misinterpreting the abbreviations in the instructions.  All I can think is that the pattern designer is counting each double-crochet round as 2 rounds.  Structurally, the individual parts have come out to look like the parts in the picture--it's just the sizing that's way friggin' off for every single part and piece.


And yes, now that I have everything laying on the floor together, I do see that one ear is a bit shorter than the other.  Thanks for noticing.

So I'm right there at removing the stuffing and tossing said rabbit parts in the trash.  If I think about it for a minute, I am sure that I can work up this rabbit with a circular needle and have it end up like the picture.

This appears to be a sign that my intended purpose does not involve a crochet hook.  I've gotten the message.  I'll just stick with knitting.

Translate

Search This Blog

There was an error in this gadget