June 25, 2013

FO: Outlaw Ribbed Socks

I'm taking the day off.  I mean it.  After weeks and weeks of working like a man to get into this new farm life and then make it reasonable to live here--a woman cannot live with a new kitchen alone!--I just had to break down and knit something all day long. 

I have blisters, callouses, bruises, scrapes, scratches, insect bites, a foot injury, and one whopper of a headache.  As a reward for my labors, and the labors of my super-awesome Honey, there is an ever-growing garden plot that has been carved out of the top part of a pasture and a flower bed around the front porch.  Don't get me started on the level of idiot that it took to bury 200 square feet or so of weed cloth a foot BELOW ground so that roots of at least three trees (who plants trees against the foundation of a house ?!?) and well over one hundred scrubby daylilies could embed themselves in it.  The front flower bed has taken about a month and the muscle of one seriously determined farm tractor to salvage. I'm down to transplanting my grandmother's iris and two mandevilla to replace the clematis that just didn't make it through.  I've managed to transplant the tomatoes, okra, bell peppers, and chili peppers from the old garden to the new.  I've still to move the strawberries, blackberries, raspberries, and grapes.  Otherwise, I've done all I can do on the transplanting front.  Fortunately, the garden is in just in time to make a second planting, so I'll be impatiently waiting for cukes, zucchini, more okra, beans, and lettuce to get into the game.  Sometimes it's good to live in the South.

Of course, I've tried to save a little energy for some knitting in the evenings.  And even though it has taken me faaaaaaar longer to finish this pair of socks than usual, they are done.  Finished last night.  I give you ... basic ribbed socks in the Gypsy Sock colorway Outlaw.





I would like to add that no color enhancement was used for these photos.  The farm really is that green.  Really.  You can see, however, that I managed to somehow work the colorway in reverse from one sock to the next.  It doesn't really matter.  I like them anyway.  They are a little more on the tan/brown side when you see them in person.

I was so pleased with this pair that when I went to put my new hank of sea cell/silk lace weight from Mary at Colors to Dye For 


into my already overstuffed fingering weight stash drawer this morning, and the hank of Blue Moon Fiber Arts BFL (Tulgey Woods colorway) popped out, well ... I figured it was asking to be cast on.  So after knitting on and off all day on the back porch with a glass of sweet tea and a nice breeze, I have this much to report:



I hadn't really noticed at the time that I ordered it that it looked as if the hank had been a little over-cooked and was a slight bit felted, but I sure noticed when I wound it into center-pull balls!  Even so, it's knitting up nicely, though a little more green and a little more "fuzzy" than I had expected. It's difficult to see, but I'm past the cuff and onto the leg. 

I hope that's thunder that I hear in the background because my poor little plants have had enough heat and sunshine for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit me!

Translate

Search This Blog